New Year, New Kitchen, New episode of Cooking in Manhattan and it’s about…. leftover veggies. Let’s say it straight, I cook way too many side dishes, so I always have some leftover veggies in the fridge. Sometimes it’s just boiled broccoli, steamed asparagus or roasted cauliflower, but they are usually as good the second day as they are the first and they deserve to be transformed into something really awesome. So I have devised several ways to use left over veggies as a day after secret weapon to cook something delicious and very quick. I plan on experimenting a bit more but I wanted to start with one of my favorite things: Grilled Cheese. The Pirate can cook a mean grilled cheese but it’s all about cheese and butter (to crisp up the bread). So for the new year I wanted to show you a healthier option that will be delicious and almost guilt free.
Now let’s talk about veggie grilled cheese pairings. Here are a few I really love and have on rotation in my kitchen:
- Creamed Spinach & Mozzarella
- Sauteed Spinach & Feta cheese (this WILL taste like a spanakopita without the pain of phyllo dough)
- Roasted Root Vegetables & Smoked Gouda
- Brussels Sprouts & Pecorino
- Roasted Broccoli & Cheddar
- Roasted Cauliflower & Pecorino
- Sauteed Onions & Gruyere
- Roasted Fennel & Goat Gouda
- Sauteed Mushrooms & pretty much any cheese.